Tuesday 22 March 2011

Not Doing Too Well ....

... on my resolution to blog more frequently. I'm pretty poor at this to be honest. I always have a project on the go but I rarely remember to check in here and blog about what I'm up to!

Three weeks ago I embarked on a big lifestyle change. I have been trying (and failing) to lose weight for over a decade and when I think back to the diet post baby no.1 - wanting to lose a stone and a half it kind of makes me sick that I didn't nip the whole thing in the bud back then! But now, 11 years on I have a hell of a lot more than a stone and a half to lose and I'm not going to fail this time, because this time I'm not on a diet. I have joined MyFitnessPal and am 9lbs down so far. I am making a very conscious effort to move more - from just the simple task of walking to collect Charlotte from school to the mammoth 90 minute workout I am doing at the gym. In the past week I have attended a pilates class (another one this evening) which I found really relaxing - but my goodness did my abs (yes .... I have some apparently) and backside ache for days afterwards. I have been swimming twice - I tried to go a third time but the pool was shut due to a gala, and I've been in the gym twice. Its going well so far and I'm hoping I can keep up the momentum. My best friend Hayley is also on this mission with me, and its lovely having some back up support, although other than one swimming session we're not working out together really. MyFitnessPal is proving to be an extremely valuable tool. It has a huge database so I can track my food and exercise really easily, most of the things I'm logging are already there and those that aren't are easy to add, it is also available on the iPhone/iPod, Android and Blackberry market (for free) so you can track from your mobile and not have to remember everything. The best thing about it, however, is the community side of it. You can add friends and they really help boost your spirit when the news feed posts how many calories you've burned doing X amount of minutes exercise and they all comment how great you are and how well you're doing. Such a simple thing, but I feel like if I didn't keep it all up I'd not only let myself down, but I'd let all my MFP friends down too. In moments of serious lack of enthusiasm I could go on to the MFP forum boards and look at the topics in 'Success Stories' .... a place where people can post before/after pictures to inspire others - it works like nothing else, seeing someone who had the same amount as you to lose looking amazing in the after shots! I can't wait to be at a point where I can add a success story! I've given myself a halfway mark, when I hit that I'll post pictures.

That is what is the main focus of my life right now, but I do have a pattern being test-knit as we speak so hopefully that can be listed on Ravelry soon. Have a little preview of the cutie:

No comments:

Post a Comment